Saturday, May 9, 2015

One Year Out

Last year on Mother's Day we paid our respects to one of the world's most amazing women.  It was a bittersweet day.  Not only was it Mother's Day, but it was also her birthday--her first birthday in Heaven.  I guess you could say it was probably her best birthday ever.

One year later, we still miss Grandma Rose like crazy.  Every holiday and family gathering is not the same without her.  The last few years, when she was her most disabled, it was easy for her to get lost in the crowd during Thanksgiving and Christmas.  When there are over 50 people in the house, it is easy to get lost.  But now with her gone, her absence is palpable.  What we wouldn't give for her to be sitting quietly in her blue chair, enjoying watching all of the chaos of her large family.
The birthday where she told everyone, "I'm three-quarters of a century old!"
I asked her once if she ever imagined when she and Grandpa got married that they would end up with such a huge family--4 kids, 14 grandkids, and 19 great-grandkids.  She said, "No, I never could have imagined.  But I love it."  Every pregnancy announcement was met with as much excitement as a first time grandmother.  Even the years when there were several babies born close together.  I asked her one day if she thought our family would ever grow too large.  She said, "There could never be too many babies.  There will always be enough love to go around."  She was so proud of her family, and let every person she met know about it.

Her favorite thing to do--holding the newest baby.  In this case, Thomas.

I am so blessed to have called her Grandma.  Not a day goes by that I don't miss her and wish she were here.  I still walk into the house and expect to see her sitting in her blue chair.

Meeting Lydia, two days old.

Every time I hear this song, it makes me think of her.  She suffered physically for so many years, I imagine this song is about her.

There's a peace I've come to know
Though my heart and flesh may fail
There's an anchor for my soul
I can say "It is well"

Jesus has overcome
And the grave is overwhelmed
The victory is won
He is risen from the dead

And I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on eagles' wings
Before my God fall on my knees
And rise
I will rise

There's a day that's drawing near
When this darkness breaks to light
And the shadows disappear
And my faith shall be my eyes

Jesus has overcome
And the grave is overwhelmed
The victory is won
He is risen from the dead

And I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on eagles' wings
Before my God fall on my knees
And rise
I will rise

And I hear the voice of many angels sing,
"Worthy is the Lamb"
And I hear the cry of every longing heart,
"Worthy is the Lamb"
And I hear the voice of many angels sing,
"Worthy is the Lamb"
And I hear the cry of every longing heart,
"Worthy is the Lamb"
"Worthy is the Lamb"

And I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on eagles' wings
Before my God fall on my knees
And rise
I will rise
I will rise

Happy Mother's Day, Grandma.  I hope it's a beautiful one.  I hope you're playing the organ and singing with the Saints.  Grandma Rose, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment