Thursday, March 13, 2014

Talent Show Tryouts

Amelia came home two days ago and told us that she had signed up for the talent show tryouts.  I was a little surprised since she had known about it for a few weeks and had never said anything about being interested.  I was also a little irritated because it meant that we had two days to figure out what she was going to do in two days!  She had no idea what song she was going to use or have any ideas for a routine, all she knew was she wanted to dance.  Which is pretty much par for the course for Amelia.  She rarely has a plan, she just wants to jump in and do it.  Sometimes it works for her, but a lot of the time it ends up being a source of frustration for her when things don't go the way she expected.
 
So finally last night she decided that she wanted to dance to "Good Morning" by Mandisa.  I made her show me her dance, which was all completely improvised, of course.  I downloaded the song and burned it onto a cd for her, took her to school, and hoped for the best.
 
The last thing I said to her before she left the van was "Don't lose that CD."  What happened?  She lost the CD.  Of course.  And she forgot about the audition, so when I got to the school she was standing outside waiting for me.  I reminded her of the audition and she was like, "Oh yeah!"  Then I asked where the CD was and she said it was in her locker.  It wasn't.  We looked all over the place for the first 15 minutes of auditions and never did find it.  God bless Miss Sand, her music teacher, for being so sweet and saying, "What's the song name?  Okay, no problem, I'll just go download it!"
 
Amelia had said while we were looking for the CD, "I don't think I want to do this anymore.  I think I just want to watch the auditions."  I was starting to get really frustrated by that point, but Miss Sand talked her into going ahead and auditioning.  After a few more acts had auditioned, Miss Sand asked who was next and Amelia raised her hand.  She got up, walked confidently to the middle of the gymnasium, and did her thing.  I'm so proud of her for following through, even though she was unsure whether or not she really wanted to.  We won't know until after Spring Break if she made it to the actual talent show, but kudos to her for having the courage to stand up and dance in front of a panel of teachers and several students.
 
Here's a clip of her routine.  Thomas clapped to the beat, Lydia wiggled her booty and tried to crawl out to dance with her sister, and Mommy choked back tears with a big smile on her face.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment